12-Factor Apps: Helping New and Existing Apps Make Friends with The Cloud
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
6:30 - 8:30 PM
The twelve-factor app is a methodology for building software-as-a-service apps that:
- Use declarative formats for setup automation, to minimize time and cost for new developers joining the project;
- Have a clean contract with the underlying operating system, offering maximum portability between execution environments;
- Are suitable for deployment on modern cloud platforms, obviating the need for servers and systems administration;
- Minimize divergence between development and production, enabling continuous deployment for maximum agility;
- And can scale up without significant changes to tooling, architecture, or development practices.
The twelve-factor methodology can be applied to apps written in any programming language, and which use any combination of backing services (database, queue, memory cache, etc).
James Twang has 16 years of software development experience. He is currently a software architect and technical lead developer at a top-ranked global investment bank, contributing code and advice to the next generation of cloud-ready Java applications and infrastructure.
BrixBits provides simple, yet powerful solutions that fill gaps in today's application performance management (APM) and Java application market. Our wide range of agents provide critical information to ensure that Java applications are running efficiently and securely. From productivity and availability to performance and security we have unique solutions that provide the information needed to be able to respond quickly and accurately to events happening within Java applications.
Our vision is to build affordable and effective solutions to solve hard Java application problems.
RSVP by going to Eventbrite. We will need an accurate head count in order to know how much pizza to order. Since there may be a large turnout, please only RSVP if you're certain you'll be coming.
Meeting Location: PROS
Houston, TX 77002
Park across the street in the parking garage on Elgin on the 7th floor, taking a parking receipt as you enter the parking garage. Parking is free after 7:00 PM, so you won't have to pay as you exit. Take the elevator to the 3rd floor of the parking garage and walk across the sky bridge. The HJUG meeting will be on the 2nd floor on the left just before you reach the elevator bank.
Meeting Sponsor: ZeroTurnaround
ZeroTurnaround has a global team of 150+ individuals. The company’s go-to-market heart beats in Boston, Massachusetts, while our development feet are firmly planted (and rapidly growing) in Estonia, at two offices in Tallinn and Tartu.
About our venue sponsor: PROSWe aren't your run-of-the-mill software company. We're true to our word. When we say your success is our number one priority, we mean it. We'll work side-by-side with you to deliver on every promise every time. At PROS, we don't just see ourselves building software. We see ourselves as building blocks in our customers' success stories.
Our Core Values:
- Ownership - We take responsibility.
- Passion - We love what we do.
- Pride - We accept only the best.
- Trust - We can be counted on.
- Integrity - We do what's right.
- Innovation - We create possibilities.
- Customer Centricity - We put our customers first.
Door Prizes and Giveaways! - must RSVP on Eventbrite to win
- JetBrains has donated one IntelliJ license to be raffled off at this month's HJUG meeting
- Hello2Morrow has donated a SonarGraph Personal license to be raffled off at this month's HJUG meeting
- Headway Software has donated a license of the new Structure101 Studio
- CoderGears has donated licenses of their product JArchitect
- SemanticMerge has donated a one year license of their product to one lucky winner, and another to the speaker.
Meeting sponsored by Structure101 for Tangle free software.